Thursday 6 March 2014

COCONUT BURFI / NARIYAL BURFI

This sweet brings nostagic moments in me.When i was in UKG ..i had my brother and during that time i was send to the near by shop for small purchases.As my father was in police department ,as every one knw that they are always in duty!!.So my mum sends me for smalll purchases.For the first time when she send me gave a 10 paise as extra  for me to purchase any sweet. By seeing this white sweet inside the glass jar i purchased that.From that day i was very happy to go to the shop..But when the yrs passed she stopped giving that 'extra' money to me :( and purchasing the grocery became my " duty" until my brother grew up..That taste was still in my memory and the funny part was that, i didnt knw the name of the sweet .:P .After many yrs during my college days i had it from my frnds house then only i came to knw the name..Any way i got the recipe recently and when tried it for first time it went flop..then again tried today and came out good but i want to post the recipe soon..so didnt wait for a perrrrrfecttt finish..
Ingredients:


Grated coconut
1 cup
Sugar
¾ cup
Ghee
½ tsp
Cardamom pwd
From 2

Method:

1.Roast the cashew nuts in ghee and keep aside.Also grease a plate or a tray with ghee and keep aside.




2.In a pan, add the coconut and sugar together.




3.If the coconut is not fresh or have less moisture, then sprinkle little water on the coconut otherwise the sugar gets caramalised.( this is y my  first attempt got flopped )
4. Allow the sugar to melt in low- med fire.
5.Stir continously .
6.When the sugar starts to melt , the whole mixture turns little bit liquid state and slowly starts to soldify and starts bubbling .




7. Once it starts to leave the edges, add the cashew and cardomom
8.Transfer quickly to the greased tray.




9.With a spatula or greased aluminium foil level the mixture.
10,Give a slight press so that it become firm.
11.Before it cools down, cut according to the desired shape ( can use a knife or pizza cutter )



Tips:

     1.       As mentioned earlier, if the coconut is not fresh or taken from the fridge, then chk the moisture , or else sprinkle very little water , otherwise chances for caramalisation.

     2.       Always  keep the fire in low-med

     3.       After  pouring to the tray, after some times, press with ur finger, if its very soft .. then transfer it to the pan again and stir for a few seconds too..

     4.       If its hard , then again transfer to the pan and add little milk to make it in a right consistency.






1 comment :

  1. wow super ! i dont like sweets but still your burfi tempting me dear:)

    ReplyDelete